Camden People’s Theatre has been supporting artists and the Camden community for the last 24 years. We are a charity and rely on the generous donations of our supporters, trusts and foundations and individuals to keep our vibrant programme going and our ticket prices cheap!
Artist development is central to everything we do at CPT. We’re not a theatre that does a bit of artist support on the side. It’s our priority, and our public programme of work springs from it.
By artist development we mean supporting early-career artists to make innovative work, helping them establish themselves artistically and structurally, offering them advice, structured schemes in which to develop new work to full production programming their work creatively and finding them
an audience – and (not least) giving them a community to be part of and a place to call home. The types of development support we offer include:
- seed commission funds, including several for artists of colour
- free rehearsal space
- dramaturgical support and mentoring
- fundraising support
- discount or free tickets to CPT shows
- opportunities to become involved in the life of our theatre
- associate artist scheme
- fees for performances and contributions towards travel and accommodation
CPT’s work is also rooted in the Camden community and we are dedicated to delivering high quality arts projects and opportunities to our local residents.
We believe that access to and engagement with high quality arts activity is hugely beneficial to people’s wellbeing and can improve social cohesion. Our community work engages people of all ages and backgrounds including 13-19 years olds attending our youth theatre and refugees living in the area. Our most impactful project to date is Camden Youth Theatre that we launched in partnership with New Diorama in 2016. CYT is the only free to access extra-curricular youth theatre in Camden and as such, offers vital arts engagement for our local young people. Types of community engagement we offer include:
- Free space for local groups to meet
- Camden Youth Theatre – a weekly workshop for 13-19 year olds
- Theatre projects developed with local community groups such as Hopscotch and Counterpoint Arts
- Theatre projects developed with and performed by local school pupils
- Discount or free tickets to CPT shows
- Free workshops for schools
- Programming and promotion of local festivals including Drummond Street Festival
There are numerous ways you can support our work. Add a donation to your booking, support us through your company or make an individual one-off donation. You can even choose to directly support our associate artist scheme or Camden Youth Theatre via the links below.
Want to chat about other ways you can help? Contact our Executive Director, Kaya Stanley-Money – [email protected]
Any donations, large or small, will go directly towards our work with emerging artists and our local community, and are, of course, hugely appreciated!