Dates and Times
26 November 2014 to 27 November 2014 at 7.30pm
Presented by Selina Thompson. Nominated for Total Theatre Award, Edinburgh Fringe 2014
FAT! That's what I'm making a show about. My fat. Your fat, maybe. Fat. I've been fat for a long time now, and I thought I was fat, even when I wasn't, and as such, I've been thinking about fat for even longer. So I made a show about it. Our bodies and egos are fragile, our ways of talking about them inadequate, so I can understand that you might not be up for talking about fat for an hour. So I'll make you some promises:
– I promise to tell the truth.*
– I promise to make it funny.*
– I promise you won't get any mess on your nice clothes.*
– I promise not to talk about anorexia, bulimia, fat acceptance, the beauty myth, feminism, the fashion industry, weight loss, the diet industry, discrepancies between the European ideal of beauty and the Afro Carribbean ideal of beauty, girls being bitchy to other girls, how men feel about their body, about how you should feel about your body. *
– I promise that your body is a Wonderland (copyright John Mayer) and so is mine.
*I can't guarantee that any of these promises will be kept.
p.s. Bring Snacks.
Selina invites you to her own version of a midnight feast: somewhere between the confessions made over coffee at weight watchers, and the sloppy drunken story-telling that accompanies that 3am kebab. She infuses discussion of complex, life long issues with weight with laughter, balloons and a healthy dose of rice pudding to result in something truly vibrant. Somewhere between story telling, stand up, live art and theatre, Chewing the Fat is a powerful and extremely open portrayal of how we live with our bodies, on both the days when they are beautiful, and the days when they are a burden.
"Sparkly, difficult and painful… Quietly heartbreaking" – 4*, Catherine Love, What's On Stage (Aug 2014)
“Amazing work in progress of #chewingthefat @SelinaNThompson yesterday @ADatMill. Beautiful, touching, challenging, beautiful, beautiful… “
“@SelinaNThompson’s #ChewingTheFat was moving, important and fresh."
“@SelinaNThompson Deeply moving, honest & raw. Am identifying!"
“@SelinaNThompson deeply affective, uncomfortable and vibrant show. You have a powerful presence and charismatic charm. Thank you!”