Call for Submissions: Seed commissions for artists from marginalised backgrounds
What is it? We are offering 9 seed commissions to artists from marginalised backgrounds, to support the development of innovative new theatre projects. These commissions are on offer in autumn 2020: successful candidates will receive £750, one week’s rehearsal space (or one week’s supported digital R&D), and the opportunity to perform as part of our artistic programme.
What we’re looking for:
- New work: new ideas, or work that is still at the early work-in-progress stage
- Work that reflects CPT’s focus on questions of social, political or cultural currency
- Unconventional and innovative work
- Devised, self-made and solo work
- Off-site work; interactive work; or live art and cross-disciplinary work
- Work made by artists from marginalised backgrounds – specifically artists of colour; D/deaf and disabled artists; and artists from working-class backgrounds. CPT will only offer commissions to artists/companies identifying as such
Each commissioned artist will receive:
- £750 seed commission
- One week’s R&D space in autumn 2020 or spring 2021, or (if space is unavailable for public health reasons) one week of supported digital R&D
- A supported digital sharing of your work-in-progress; or a performance as part of a Big Bang scratch night at CPT from spring 2021
- Connection to a network of commissioned artists
- Technical support / professional development, if required, to up-skill and expand your practice in response to social distancing conditions
- Mentoring from CPT team; marketing support in advance of public or online performances; digital support; support with access needs where required
- Ongoing development opportunities. CPT hopes that seed commissions lead to longer-term relationships with artists. We will do what we can to offer projects further support
The deadline for seed commission applications is Monday 5th October at 10am. Interviews will take place on the 15th and 16th of October. For more information and to apply, please read our call-out information document here.
We welcome applications in alternative formats. For any of the call-outs above you can submit a video or sound application answering the questions found inside the google forms in up to 5 minutes. We welcome video recordings to be in BSL.
To submit your application please send the recording via WeTransfer.com to [email protected] by the call – out deadline.
If you have any questions or would like to request an alternative method of applying, please email James on [email protected]
There are currently no other opportunities or calls for submissions. Follow us on Twitter to stay in touch and check back here soon